Willie Nelson Art
Andy completed his first piece of Willie Nelson art just before we went to Nashville at the beginning of the month. He's been wanting to paint a Willie Nelson piece for awhile. Nothing like a trip to Music City to speed up his inspiration, right? This piece of Willie Nelson art simply entitled "Willie" measures 25x50 inches. If you'd like to purchase it, call Andy at (850) 502-0072.
Andy looked up dozens of photos online (see a few examples below) and did some research in preparation. Here's a little background information on William Hugh Nelson.
- Willie Nelson is 82 years old. He was born in Abbott, Texas, in 1933.
- Willie and his older sister Bobbie were raised by their paternal grandparents.
- As a child, he attended a small Methodist church where he was first exposed to music.
- The first song he ever learned was "Amazing Grace."
- He got his first guitar at age 6.
- He wrote his first song at age 7.
- Other jobs he's had during his lifetime: U.S. Air Force, cotton picker, saddle maker, radio DJ, bouncer for a nightclub, partsman in an autohouse, tree trimmer, oilfield worker, and salesman (Bible, vacuum cleaner and encyclopedia).
- He moved to Nashville, TN, in 1960.
- After his house in Ridgetop, TN burned down in 1970, he moved to Austin, TX.
- He received his first Grammy Award for best country vocal performance in 1975.
- His 1978 album Stardust remained on the country album chart for 10 consecutive years!
- Nelson has written more than 2,500 songs and has released close to 300 albums.
- He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1993.
- Willie has been married four times, and he has seven children.
This is my favorite Willie Nelson song: